Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Tourist in my Home Town

We're baaaaack!  Limited internet prevented me from posting, but I've got it now, so I'm going to try to catch up.  Hope you're still following!

We spent a week in upstate New York, visiting friends and family.  Mostly non-blogworthy activity, but while there, I got opportunity to tour a home that I had driven by a million times in my youth, before it became a museum, the Wickwire mansion, or, as it is called now, the 1890 House.

Wickwire home

The Wickwires were a prominent family in Cortland, N.Y. in the late 1800's, where they owned a factory that produced wire screen.  I thought the interior was as beautiful as the Biltmore mansion that we toured in North Carolina (you can read about that here), just on a much smaller scale.

Built-in nook in the entry

Detailed inlays on the floor 
Each room on the main level had a different pattern.

The ceiling of the solarium

Wood work detail

Stained glass 
Difficult to see in the picture, but it looked like glass balls embedded in the design.  It was the most beautiful glasswork I've ever seen and it was in every window on the main level.
The carriage house in back

It was an experience to look at the upstate region in which I grew up with eyes of someone who has traveled and lived around the world.  I haven't been back to the area in many years and while some things had changed drastically, others were as familiar as the back of my hand.  And while I do believe you CAN go home again, I don't think it's for me.  Still, it was nice to see family and friends, but after a week, I was itching to get on with it.  So off it was for us, to another adventure down the road!

Until next time...







No comments: