Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Museum at the Washington Navy Yard

Our neighbor in the campground was retired Navy and he recommended that we visit the Navy Museum at the Washington Navy Yard, the oldest shore establishment of the U.S. Navy.  We could drive into the yard and park nearby, so we took an afternoon to check it out.

I didn't what to expect - I know very little about the Navy - but it turned out to be pretty interesting.  Of course, Sid had to read every narrative displayed, so I after I looked at the things that interested me, I found a very comfortable bench and, prepared with my Kindle in my purse, read for the next hour and half while he finished up!

Some of the things I found interesting follow.

British blanket seized from a ship in the War of 1812
This was in pristine shape so it must have been taken before it was used much.

Diving suit
This suit was developed in Germany before WWII, but it's bulkiness prevented practical use.

Ship figurehead from the early 1900s.
I've never seen a male figurehead, so this was interesting.  It appears to be Prince Regent, who later became King George IV of England.  Interesting to me because my ancestors have been traced back to King George's court.

Kamikaze bomb plane
Designed to explode on impact, these were essentially bombs with wings.  I can't imagine the pilot flying this plane, knowing he was going to die.

Wing from Kamikaze plane recovered from the carrier Enterprise
Fourteen men died and another 68 were injured in this attack.

Watch bell from the USS Merrimack
Retreating Union forces burned and sank the ship to prevent her capture by the Confederates.

 
Pay receipt for POW work during WWII
Not an interesting picture, but I found it fascinating that the Japanese paid the POWs for their work.  The prisoners could then use the money to purchase needed medical supplies and extra food.

Railway gun

Model of railway gun
These railway guns were designed and built during WWI and used against the Imperial German forces.

That's just a fraction of the things on display at the museum.  Sid, knowing more about history than I do, found the narratives throughout very informative and educational.

And that, finally, wraps up our time in Washington, D.C., our nation's capitol.  The weather was beautifully sunny, but awfully hot and humid while we were there and, as always, there are many more things to see and do in and around the city.  But at least we got to cross a few things off the old bucket list!

Until next time...











No comments: